Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter Break and the Not So Unusual UNaccomplished To Do List

Although Easter break isn't technically over for the kiddos, it almost is for me. (Sad face) This is the last break before the end of the year, and it's almost time to hit the grindstone! I don't know about you, but I always have these elaborate big plans that I want to accomplish when we have big breaks...especially over a holiday. I know that trying to keep up with the Brown's (I think that's the saying?? Who knows...) has become a big deal in recent years, causing moms to stress themselves out with how much they are NOT going overboard like so and so did with their holiday plans.

I always have good intentions, and this weekend wasn't much different. We were going to dye Easter eggs, make Resurrection rolls, "Egg" people's houses, try out Grandma Pam's homemade roll recipe, and many other things. I'm also sure I am like most people in the "strive-to-be-mother-of-the-year" category when no matter how great your intentions, it is RARE that your to do list is accomplished by the end of the break. I can, however say that I do not get very discouraged when we don't accomplish everything because my kiddos are always having a great time.

I'm finding out that as my kids get older, hanging out with mom isn't nearly as cool as it once was. Where I used to take priority over everyone and everything else (except Grandma), I am now neck and neck with like 5th. Sad....I know. I'm starting to see myself more and more in my kids, especially Jae. I was definitely the social butterfly of my family growing up. There were few summer days when I wasn't out and about from sunrise to sunset with the exception of the 12 and 6 o'clock whistles. Friends were my life. I needed my friendships like a fish needs water. Watching Jae foster friendships and grow into the young lady that she is is worth far more than dyeing any amount of Easter eggs.

So we didn't dye eggs, but we did get to try out some new traditions that I think are quite fun (and a lot less messy).  I love holiday traditions, but Easter is one of those holidays that I wanted my kids to fully grasp. Even though my freak flag flies highest during Christmas, Easter has so much more of a sacred meaning, and so it becomes more of a holy freak flag kinda day. We don't believe in the Easter bunny at our house, mainly because sister's a little creeped out by giant bunnies. I can handle them on movies, in my TV screen, far away from me, but not in real life. It's one of the main reasons we don't go to Easter egg hunts in town anymore. (That and the crazy parents who shove toddlers out of the way to get their kids a couple flippin Easter eggs is quite frankly ridiculous) My feelings were reconfirmed when this picture was posted on facebook this week. Creepy much????
We do, however, do our own Easter egg hunts....with a twist. I found a printable on pinterest that allowed us to combine our holiday freak flag with a little bit of Jesus love. The kiddos loved it. It was a great way to incorporate the empty tomb and sharing it with our friends.
We also didn't make the Resurrection rolls I was dying to make again this year. :( That one made me a little sad, but Friday night's bedtime with my littles completely trumped all of the plans I had made.

It started with a little quality family bonding time. We were going to town to watch a movie, just the five of us, and low and behold....SOLD OUT. Ugh. So frustrated. Dan ended up staying in town to go to a movie with his buddy while we opted for our second choice.....Redbox, popcorn, and puffy bunny marshmallows. So we watched Rise of the Guardians. (Uber cute for freak flag fliers such as myself) PS. The bunny was manageable. Animation does wonders. When the movie was over, and we were getting ready for bed, we had a great conversation about Jesus, Good Friday, the Last Supper and Easter.

It began with Carter saying that Jesus was "like the best guardian ever". True dat! What followed was such a God thing. The conversations just flowed. We talked about how Friday was called "Good Friday" even though it was such a sad sad day. We discussed how he was crucified and rose again, and why we celebrate it. Even Sawyer piped in with a "Jesus on da cross. He lubs us". I just love bedtime for so many reasons, but even with talk time, heart checks, shadow puppets, bedtime stories, songs, etc....this one kinda topped the cake. It was amazeballs.

So along with remembering why we are actually on break (Thank you Jesus), we spent time with family and friends. We watched kids play. We enjoyed the much anticipated 50 and 60 degree days. We loved up new babies, we played with chalk, we went for runs, we lived our one wild and crazy life. The only casualty was a very large battle wound on Ten's forehead following a swingset collision. On the bright side...it was shaped like an egg, so it totally matched the theme of the weekend. Girl likes to be in style.....Don't worry. It looked much worse than she lead on. I promise.

 After our family Easter, we cuddled up with the boys while Jae spent some quality time with Grandma, and watched our new Easter basket movies, and  then grilled for the first time this year....even though it was snowing. We're through with you winter. Take the hint!! Flip flops and capris are here to stay!
Why yes...that IS Full House season 1 in that basket. Glad you noticed. :)

As my break winds down and we start to prep for next week we are ending our night with the Bible miniseries that was on the History channel the last several weeks. I don't know if I'll be awake to finish the last episode since we had to catch up on one, but we'll get around to it! Tomorrow I will venture into a new challenge. I will attempt to make my mom's amazing homemade rolls. I promised Katie I would trade her a pan of rolls in exchange for her infamous Easter gorovei bread. She delivered. Please pray I will be able to as well!

I apologize for the lack of pictures. I put many of them on my camera and I haven't had time to upload or edit any. I also didn't take near as many as I thought I would! Here's to hoping you enjoyed your Easter weekend. Don't forget what Jesus has done for you.

John 3:16-17
"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life. "For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world should be saved through Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment