Saturday, August 4, 2012

Life in the Slow Lane

I realize it's been awhile since I've posted. I really thought I would have written in here on a weekly basis since I've had nothing better to do. It's been almost 2 months since my accident so I thought I'd give you an update. While I'm healing and things are progressing, my fibula is not healed enough to make my doctor feel comfortable with me putting weight on it. Again, I had my little plan of how this was all going to work out. I would go in on the 13th, and they would tell me my x-rays looked beautiful and I would have a week and a half of physical therapy under my belt before I went back to school. Unfortunately, now the plan is to come back after I've been in school a week (August 27) and IF my x-rays look good, THEN I may start PT. I'm trying to be a big girl and not let it get me down. It's hard to do when you've set up expectations. I'm learning very quickly that God's plan and my plan are very different and that I will have to understand that God's plan ALWAYS wins. I'm done giving myself a timeline. And while this summer isn't what I'm used to, life in the slow lane isn't ALL bad. Before I continue to sulk about not being on my way to Potato Lake with my family, here are some things I HAVE managed to enjoy while being laid up:

1. I'm in a boot now, which is far more cumbersome than a cast, BUT I get to bathe which means I got to SHAVE! Who would have thought that would be such a highlight.
2. I get to sleep in....every day. Most of the time, my kids don't wake up until 9 or 9:30, and since I can't be up and about doing anything productive, sleeping in is luxury I get to enjoy.
3. Dan and I managed to watch all 10 seasons of Friends. Who says date night in can't be fun?
4. My kids willingly cuddle up to me throughout the day. How lucky am I?
5. My grocery bill was virtually cut in half this summer thanks to all the wonderful people I have in my life that brought us food.
6. Because we didn't travel up the wazoo like we normally do, I paid off a credit card instead. Dave Ramsey would be so proud.
7. I get to see my mom 2 times a week. Bonding over a broken ankle wouldn't have been the way I would have picked to spend more time with her, but it was nice having her around nevertheless.
8. The weather has been so hot, I don't feel bad staying inside with my air on!
9. I finished the 50 Shades trilogy which I NEVER thought I would read.
10. I am taking the time to realize how blessed I am. I have the best family and friends anyone could ever ask for. God is showing me how lucky I am to have these people in my life. I've fallen much more in love with my husband after this summer. He's such an amazing man.

Do I still wish I could travel all summer? You bet. Am I bummed that I can't enjoy running around and chasing after my kids? Of course. But it could be worse. I could have been in a movie theater when a gunman shot and killed 12 people and wounded 59 more. I could have found out I had cancer and only had 2 weeks to live. I could have broken BOTH my ankles and been in a worse situation than I am in now. My point is this. I don't know what part of God's plan for me is being fulfilled by me having a broken ankle, but I'm learning that I don't have to know all the details. All I can do is reflect on this and try to use it as a way to be a better me once I am able to walk. I'll think about how awful it feels to be forced to sit on the couch the next time my kids ask me to walk to the park and I actually can. I'll think about how I couldn't swim with a cast on the next time my kids want me to jump off the diving board with them. And I'll remember how much I HATED having a messy house and not being able to do anything about it the next time I don't feel like cleaning my kitchen. I'm learning from my life in the slow lane, but boy do we have time to make up once I can walk again!

Mom and Dave got a new boat and a tube. The kids have enjoyed tubing a couple of times. I've gotten to sit along the shore and watch them have fun!

We got to enjoy our date night to the Luverne Drive-Inn. It's no Mexico, but we improvised!

                                                                 Cuddle time is a must.

         I'm not entirely missing out on the pool. Sometimes I get to  put my feet in when I wear my cast cover.

 
 And since I thought you'd like to see this gross picture, here is one side of my foot after the 2nd surgery. Nice eh?





No comments:

Post a Comment