Thursday, April 11, 2013

Being still and Reflecting on Good Friendships

I giggle as I reread my title for this post. If you know me, even a little bit, being still is quite the feat over here. We (or rather I) are usually on the go. Since last summer's big accident, I had lots of time to sit and be, but once that boot came off, we hit the pavement hard. October-January were filled with family activities, holiday plans, wrestling tournaments, impromptu getaways, and zumba. February and March were nice. We didn't do much of anything, and I enjoyed it. When I broke my ankle, I was too busy being resentful and bitter to really reflect on much of anything, and so now that I've had some time to be home, I'm trying to take it all in. I've been spending less time on facebook (shocker!) and more time reading blogs that fill me up and make me reflect on myself, my life, my family. It's been a great few months of soul cleansing if you will.

I haven't been in much of a blogging mood lately. I feel like my words are jumbled up, and I don't have a very suave outlet in which to express them. So there's your disclaimer. I'm not going to guarantee you will be able to understand this mess, but I will do my best to express my thoughts clearly! :)

Even though we haven't had many places to be, we've still been busy. I've been having a heck of a time getting back into the swing of my workout routine. Since I've been able to workout, the weather has slowly declined and my drive to workout in the winter always sucks a little bit. So I've been hitting Zumba and CX Works when I can and going for walks when it's nice enough to be outside, but the consistency isn't what is could be and I'm trying to find that driving force. If it wasn't for my girlfriends, I'd never make it to zumba either. I'm learning that I've got to be an independent soul here. Co-dependency won't take off these last 60 pounds. Chalk that one up as goal #1.

Last weekend, we took our third annual girls' weekend up to the cities. It's a tradition that we look forward to from the moment it ends until it returns the following year. During the weekend, I found myself saying many times over that I just wanted to lock up these moments in a bottle (I believe I used the word scrapbook a few too many times. I'll be getting crap for that for years to come).

The truth of it is that I don't have a ton of extra free time. In highschool, I was a social butterfly (a name so lovingly given to me by my mother). I wanted to be friends with everyone and wanted everyone to like me. While that is all fine and dandy, I left my senior year with a lot of friends, but only a handful of friends that I keep in touch with on a regular basis. I've learned that good friendships come in the form of quality and not quantity. I want to be able to truly invest my time into my relationships.

With that being said, I have about a handful of friends who are some of the good ones. They are rare gems, and I feel very lucky to be blessed with these ladies and gentlemen in my life. They all hold a very distinctive place in my heart. Some of them, I'm lucky to see a few times a year. Our times are spent shoving a year's worth of our lives into a measly three hours of coffee and lunch. With other friends, we are able to get together once a month or over texting to vent and to connect. One I'm lucky enough to call family, and others I'm able to see a few times a week and zumba and girls' night at Langers.

In every case, I am a firm believer that where you invest your time is where you invest your heart. While the biggest chunk of my heart is given to my family, I also believe that good friendships are necessary for balance in my life. I love my littles and my husband, but I NEED my girl time like a fish needs water. I'm very glad that I have a husband who is understanding ( most of the time ;) ) of this.

So back to this weekend. I'd been SUPER ready for it for a very long time, but with Easter and all of the other things on the schedule, it kind of crept up on me. It was nice to have 2 1/2 days where there was no schedule. We didn't HAVE to be anywhere at a certain time. No swimsuit? No problem. Let's find a Target. No alarms. No schedules whatsoever. It was such a breath of fresh air from my normal life. It was also incredibly cool to see how all of us overlap. All five of us are such completely different women. We all have our own personalities and likes and dislikes, but we all just mesh so well. Sure, there are times when we let things get the best of us and we need a time out or we need to talk about things and get back on track, but that's in any relationship. It was just very neat to see where each of us overlapped. Some of us are very Type A while others are very type B. Some of us are very organic. Some are very into fashion. The list really goes on and on, but I was intentionally looking for these things this weekend, and it made me appreciate each of them for who they were and what they brought to the table. It was really an amazing weekend of women just enjoying each other's company and lifting each other up. There's something about women that is so empowering. Don't get me wrong. I love to hear my husband tell me how good I look in an outfit, but there is something about getting a genuine compliment from another woman that just empowers you.


Now, we are home. This week has been pretty drab. Spring hasn't gotten the memo. Quite the contrary, it has sent ice, thunder, lightning, hail and snow. A snow day in April is God's way of telling me to slow down. He's preparing me for the busy schedule of spring and summer that is about to come. He's telling me to be still. Enjoy my husband. Enjoy my kids. Enjoy the beautiful trees (the ones left standing). The "Ice Storm of '13" has kept me from zumba and school, but it has given me a few days of cuddling up with Dan and my kids to watch a movie or play games around the dining room table. It's given me the chance to reflect and rejuvenate so that I can go out and kick some butt tomorrow. Ebb and flow baby. Ebb and flow.



I'll leave you with a list of some blogs I'm loving lately. Here's to reflection and soul cleansing every once in awhile. Be still. Enjoy.

Momastery

Enjoying the Small Things

Mama Laughlin

Skinny Meg

Hands Free Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment