Monday, December 9, 2013

Enjoying the Little/Big Things

I haven't done a simple "Enjoying" post for quite some time, and right now feels like a pretty good time to do it. It's not because the windchill is -25 degrees or because my 3rd graders have had indoor recess every recess for what seems like an eternity, but because I find that when I am irritated or stressed out by what really are such small things, I know I need to seek out (which really isn't that hard) the things that make me happy. And this time of year, there is so much that makes me smile.

Right now I'm enjoying:

The first snow


Totally fake picture, but I haven't been very good about taking mine out lately and this one is prettier. :) We had some snowfall this weekend, and as much as I hate driving on snowy roads and the negative temperatures, Christmas doesn't feel like Christmas without snow.

Our Elf




You don't have to know me long to know I'm crazy about Christmas. I love the magic of this season and the wonder it brings to my children's hearts. Some of my favorite childhood memories are from my own Christmases past, and so to pass along that love for this time of year to them is so special for me. And part of that wonder for my kids is Bernard. Our beloved (NON CREEPY) elf. Disclaimer: I'm creeped out by actual Elf on the Shelf. The one you buy in stores that has a crazy scary smile. The one that reports back to Santa to see if your kids are being naughty or nice when he himself can't behave. Yeah, we don't do that. Our adorably cute homemade elf was made by a good friend who is so so talented. (Her name is Maggie Eilts and you can find her on facebook. I think she still makes them and sells them for a good cause.) Anywho, our elf is on vacation from the North Pole, just enjoying some quality time with the Wolfswinkels. Santa picks him up on his way through on Christmas Eve.

Anyways, my kids love him. They really really do, and their belief in the magic of this season just has me doing backflips. It brings us closer together, and I just know that these memories are filling up pages in their memory banks. On that note, I have a confession to make. My daughter still believes in Santa Claus. She's ten. And when I tell most people that, I'm pretty sure their jaws drop and they look at me like I'm a tad bit crazy. I just can't let go of this. Not yet. I'm not ready for wonder to leave her beautiful little face, and I know that's selfish. I don't want her to get made fun of for still believing in Santa. I still have the look of wonder on my face, so I'm not sure why I think that will change for her, but I know the time is coming.

My current dilemma is that her 2nd grade brother has written a letter to Santa Claus, and in our school. The 4th graders are the ones that write back. If you are doing the math, that means Jaedyn is going to be writing a letter posing as Santa, and I'm feeling a little anxious about it. I don't want to be the mom who goes into her teacher's room and says, "Please don't ruin this for me." (Okay, who am I kidding? I really did do that, but I confronted the wrong teacher, and now my logical brain is telling me to just drop it.) So, I'm preparing for questions. How will I handle this? What am I going to say? Because the reality is that the image of Santa is so much more than presents and being good or bad. We really don't even focus on that when we talk about him. Santa is the wonder. Santa is the magic. It is just a part of Christmas I've always held onto. I blame my mother. She is the one that refused to confess that he didn't exist until I was married with two kids. I'm crazy for a reason.

Thank goodness for Pinterest, I found a letter that I will be copying word for word when the time is right. Don't judge me.

And no worries, I know this season is ultimately about Jesus' Birthday. We don't forget it. We make lots of room for all of the great things about Christmas. I promise!

I digress. This post is about enjoying.

I am also enjoying the 47" TV my husband won at his work Christmas party. He has all the luck. At least I get to reap some of the benefits!

Watching my daughter do something she loves
She loves gymnastics. She really does. Watching the pride on her face as she performed her routines in front of us made me tear up a little. I'm excited to see where her interests take her as she leaves elementary school and graduates to Middle School.

Picture Walls


Our walls have been a little bare, and my husband is helping me fill them. The bottom one is a work in progress, but I love pictures on my walls of the people I love!

I bought this gem this weekend:
Why yes...that is It's a Wonderful Life. In fact, it's one of my all time favorite Christmas movies. #thingsthatmakemyhearthappy

Festive feet

I'm getting a pedicure with my cousins on Friday, but I wanted some Christmas-y toes for this week. My brother-in-law kindly reminded me that they looked a bit like I was rooting for the 49ers, but I think the 49ers are just festive year round. They must have a Christmas freak flag like me. :)

That does it! A few things I'm enjoying this week. We are simplifying our December. We are making room for activities and baking and traditions and friends and family, but we are also making sure to spend time at home, and cuddle under the blankets while we watch Christmas movies and trying to remember that this time is also about being a family. What are you enjoying this week? Leave me a message and let me know!


No comments:

Post a Comment