Monday, January 20, 2014

Our Happening Weekend

I'm not quite sick of the snow....not yet anyways. For the most part, we've enjoyed staying in when we can, cuddled up on the big comfy chair with three little bodies trying to nudge their way into the crevices between their mama and their dad, but this weekend called for some out and about.

Friday night was Carter's first ever dual tournament. Normally, he participates in tournaments where he wrestles in a bracket with kids that are in his same age/weight range. He would wrestle all the kids in his bracket and get a trophy/medal for placing. While duals don't give individual medals for placing, it does focus more on the team aspect of the sport. The whole team wrestles against another team and while one team member wrestles, the rest are on the sidelines cheering them on. It's the way it's played in high school, and I for one think it's great practice for them. It was a long night, including lots of bathroom breaks for my four year old, who has become obsessed with washing his hands as well as taking selfies with any handheld device he can get his hands on. He likes them. A lot. There was also a bit of a scare with a toddler who was choking for a good 15 minutes. Moments like that make me want to wrap my kids up in my arms and never let them go. It was super scary and such a relief when they finally got him to cough it up. All in all, the kids had a ton of fun. He's starting to be more in his element with all of this wrestling business. We'll see once if Sawyer decides it's a good fit for him next year.
Excited after his first win of the night!

Team comraderie

Riptide Pride!

Saturday was the Daycare Christmas swimming party. Sawyer had been excited for this day for weeks. We love our Beth. She's amazing. She paid for the whole family to enjoy a day of swimming together, with sweets to boot. What's not to love!? The day ended phenomenally. We got to kick off our first date of 2014's twelve dates of Christmas. My mom picked up our littles and off we went, all gussied up to the Casino to listen to Nicholas David in concert.

 We had a nice supper, followed by getting my butt kicked by the penny slots. No luck for this girl. Our $20 fun was over in less than 45 minutes, and we were forced to do nothing but sit in our seats waiting for the concert to start. I did, however, get "The Feelin" himself to give me a little wave before the concert started. I'm pretty sure it means we're best friends. Dan's pretty sure it means I'm a creeper and that he's got his bodyguards watching out for the crazy girl in the 5th row.

We were incredibly surprised that the crowd was quite a bit older than us. We kind of figured that there would be many people our age, but the average was about 50-55. In any case, they know how to get jiggy with it (is that what kids are calling it these days?) and fun was had by all. Best of all, I got my picture taken with him and his crazy awesome saxophone player. He was amazeballs. I just loved it!

This guy has killer skills on the guitar!

He doesn't think I'm creepy. That's his "we're best friends" face.

I was in awe of his amazing talent on the saxophone. I could have listened to them all night!

While we could have hit up the pool/hot tub for a few hours afterwards, we both felt like SNL and our king size bed were calling our name. Gosh we're old. I'd definitely recommend staying there if you get the chance. It was a lot of fun!

We ended our weekend with friends and hot wings and smokies and chips and queso....oh yeah, and football. Our team's going to the SUPERBOWL baby!!! Woot woot!!! I have a very happy husband indeed. My favorite part of the day was breaking a personal record for distance. I ran 6 miles outside, and it felt glorious!
Last week Monday, a mama on the East coast was training for the Boston Marathon when she was struck and killed by a drunk driver. Saturday the 18th was a day where people all over the country ran in her honor. I'm a beginning runner. I don't have the lung capacity or stamina to withstand the cold and wind that we had on Saturday, but I was bound and determined to run in honor of Meg Menzies. It was the hardest two miles I've ever run. I walked a lot, and my lungs were on fire, but I did it. Meg Menzies was my strong this weekend. #megsmiles

Hope your week is off to a good start! Happy Monday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment