Saturday, February 15, 2014

A Fireless Valentine's Day and Carpe-ing 20 minutes

I'm a sap....sometimes, just not usually on days that I'm "supposed" to be sappy, like Valentine's Day. My husband tells me that's because I thrive on going against the grain, and maybe he's right. It's why I didn't say a word about "love" or "Valentine's Day" or anything lovey yesterday on facebook. I waited until this morning to post pictures and write this post. Don't ask me why. It's just who I am. In fact, this was the Valentine's post I posted last year on Valentine's Day.

I can't help. I just can't.

Anyways, as we get older, and as our kids get older, I'm not so involved in making Valentine's Day about Dan and I, not because I don't love him with everything in my being, but because I try to show him that all year round. I don't see Valentine's day as a holiday that is specifically geared to your significant other. I see it as a day of love...to anyone I love. I try to make sure I'm kind to everyone on that day. I attempt to have more patience and give lots more hugs. I like to compliment more and make people laugh, and at the end of the day, I just want to scoop up my husband and my littles and squeeze them and tell them all about how much I love them. And that's what I did.

Dan and I woke up 10 minutes earlier than normal (because we are lazy and obviously weren't thinking that 10 minutes really was no time at all in the scheme of things) to make the kids our traditional breakfast. Pink, heart shaped pancakes and Dan's cheesy scrambled eggs. Mine were burnt and all lopsided like normal, and they wanted seconds of Dan's eggs, as per usual. They are very sweet to me however. They don't make me feel too bad that the bottoms of my pancakes are charred. They just eat the top half and everybody wins. :) Bonus: I didn't light candles this year or put their gifts in a bag with tissue paper as not to repeat the "Almost burning the house down" debacle of 2013.

I regifted the sweet stuffed animals that I had gotten from my students ( I kept the chocolate though because I don't want my kids to get cavities. I love them like that.) and Dan and I wrote cards to them about some of the things we love about them. It was a great start to our day.


This Valentine's Day marks the 10th anniversary of our first date. It was a "memorable" day to say the least. Let's just say the details are too embarrassing and too much information for this here little blog, but at least the food was good. So it was recreated: Chicken parmesan, cheesy potatoes and No bake Cheesecake.



Our kids loved it. We got all gussied up in our finest. I was conned into wearing my prom dress even though it doesn't zip all the way, and we had a dance party while dad slaved away in the kitchen making supper. The kids loved the meal, and we ended our night with a half game of Yahtzee (because sometimes I can't carpe an entire diem. Sometimes I can only carpe 20 minutes).









It was another day in the books my friends. Here are a few more fun moments from our last week!


No comments:

Post a Comment