Thursday, November 8, 2018

The Big Three

You thought I was referring to This is Us weren't you? Yeah, I see you, and I'm not ashamed to say that it was super intentional, but only to get your attention. :) I love me some This is Us references. No, I was actually referring to the end of the year. My favorite trio. October, November, December. A delicious blend of crisp Autumn air, a kaleidoscope of colors, the gathering of friends and family, the cozying up under the couch on the blankets next to people I love and watching old holiday favorites, the aroma of fir and balsam on repeat, the gratitude journal entries, the playlists of old and new Christmas songs, picked to fit your mood. The lists are endless really, and it's my favorite, absolute favorite time of the year.

And while I know people find it daunting and full of pressure and expectation, I've learned to just embrace the season for what it is- a time for friends and family and reflection. I don't hold myself to any standards. I don't get my panties in a bunch if I don't check off all the items on my bucket list. Our Christmas lists aren't long. We focus more on the giving than the getting. Twinkle lights are a must, and above all else, and this one is hard for some people.....we don't do what we don't want to do. If it doesn't make us happy, it's out!

Christmas candy not your thing? Don't do it!
Have a list of 14 different types of goodies and plan to host a party? Awesome!
 Hate putting up a tree? Fine by me!
You put up 16 trees in various places around the house? My kinda friend!
Christmas cards not in the budget? Who cares! That's what Instagram's for.
Save money all year to go the fancy route on cards? Can't wait to see em!
Planning a Black Friday shopping spree? You go girl!
Hate malls, so Amazon primed all your gifts this year? GENIUS

You guys. There is no status quo. Make this YOUR time of year and be intentional. Do your favorite things and leave out the rest. Make memories. Enjoy your family and friends. Those are the only rules. :)

On that note, I'll leave you with our happies from the past month and a half, and some of how we have enjoyed the first member of the trio.
Celebrating birthdays with this crazy crew!

Titan football for Sawyer

Carter finishing out the 7th grade season

Last game for Freshman volleyball ends in a W

Dates with this guy

Dates with this guy

Crafting with these lovelies and our tradition of getting together more often

Grabbing a few family pics at the Christmas

<3

Disney's got nothing on this view in the Ozarks

The OG



My <3

Boat rides

Love her 

Captain Carter

Harry Potter Party feast

Setting the tone

Honeydukes is now open

Can't force my kids to dress up, but at least I get to have fun with this crew. Come on down to the Price's Right!

I have the most selfless hubby! He repainted our Computer room while I was at the High School retreat, so it was no longer purple. It set the tone for working in there, and I've gotten so much done because it's no longer a cluttered pigsty! 

Trivia nights during the school year give me life. :)

In addition to all of these things, I've been enjoying a class I'm taking called Framed. It's been giving me inspiration on my photography, and motivated me to organize my pictures on my computer and start doing something with them! It's been a very fun project. I'm also being intentional about creating habits that will motivate me to be my best self. I was feeling like I was deep in a rut, and so I decided to start reading books, listening to podcasts, and follow people online that would help me grow. Getting into the habit of making myself a latte, reading my devotions, listening to a podcast, writing down my dreams/goals, and making a gratitude list every morning has shifted my mentality over the last couple months. I'm excited to see where this goes.

Next item on the agenda- slowly roll into the holidays. Buy some twinkle lights on Amazon, start to make my Christmas lists, and look for inspiration for Christmas cards. Have a happy Thursday!! Do something that makes you happy- even better- do something that makes you AND someone else happy today. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment