Saturday, March 2, 2013

Enjoying the Small Things

This week was filled with chaos. Parent teacher conferences killed me. By Tuesday night I was beat and I still had two days left to survive. I haven't been to zumba since last week Tuesday and so my ankle was stiff and sore...so much my pain pill didn't work. To top it off, we are trying to figure out how we are going to survive the next year with another $500 plus monthly payment. It was exhausting, but somehow, I managed to find the good....a lot of it. So here it goes:

This week I enjoyed.....

Spending a few hours catching up with one of my besties. We talked about life and enjoyed each other's company. It's not often I get one on one time with my friends so it was a real perk to my weekend, even if it was wayyy past my bed time. I don't think I've seen 3:00 AM in awhile.

Kids who belt out songs during church. As my kids get older and start to read, they are starting to participate more and more in the church service. Lately, when we sing during church, Jae and Carter each find me or Dan, stand in front of us, and pull their arms around their necks as they belt out praises to Jesus. Heavenly. 


Littles who fall asleep on me. My kids were never cuddlers or rockers, so when I get one of them to fall asleep on me, I'm in heaven.

Hot chocolate and marshmallows. It's been a pretty mild winter again this year, and while I'm not complaining, I like to have one good dumping, a blizzard even. Just enough for a snow day and some good old fashioned sledding. Well, we got a mini dumping (only about six inches), but it was enough for the kids to go to the big snow pile and do a little sledding and fort making. Nothing like a great big puffy heart marshmallow and some cutesy mini coffee mugs to make hot chocolate drinking a little party.

Early morning walks and Saturday morning coffee. Little is better than good long walks with your best friend and a warm cup of coffee. I HATE the treadmill, so I finally mustered up enough motivation to bundle up and head outside to get some fresh air. Let me tell ya, I never regret it. Not. Ever. I'm anticipating the next step which is preparing myself to run. I need to get back into training since I signed up for the Color Vibe in June. It's going to be symbolic of getting back on the horse. It will be a little more than a year from that day that I broke my ankle. I get butterflies in my stomach even thinking about it. It will be an exciting day!

Dutch babies. My good friend Robin introduced me to this little slice of heaven a few years ago. They are basically a baked pancake, but they are insanely delightful and so easy to make. We don't often get to have breakfast so when we get days off from school, it's always begged for. Here's the recipe in case you'd like to introduce this yummy goodness into your home!

6 eggs
4 tablespoons of butter
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup of milk
1 cup of flour

Heat your oven to 400 degrees, melt the butter in a 9x13 pan by placing it in the oven (unless you like burnt butter, keep your eye on it. It doesn't take long to melt)
Meanwhile, Whip your eggs together: add milk, flour and salt. Blend together and pour over the melted butter.
Increase the oven temperature to 450 and bake for 15-20 minutes, reduce heat to 350 and bake for another 5 minutes.
Top it off with some powdered sugar and voila!!
 
 Lazy Sundays. Sundays with no place to go and nothing to do are rare, but amazing! After a long week (or in this case before one) I love cuddling up on the couch watching HGTV and taking a nap with Dan and the kids. It's the small things people.


Pajama Glam Oscar Party minus the glam this year. Amy and I have decided that we would like to dress up in our pj's and wear costume jewelry while we sip on wine and see how many movies we've heard of. (Personally I would like to do this with the Grammy's. I seriously only heard of like 3 movies this year.) Anyways, I'm a firm believer that anything is a party if you make it one! Anyhow, I was caught off guard last week when I found out the Oscars were on exactly 32 minutes before they began. (I guess, the Oscars and the Golden Globes are two different shows. Who knew?) Next year....



A daughter whose growing up to become a thoughtful young lady. This morning I was woken up to this. Enough said.

If ever there is a bad day. It can always be fixed with Chinese and wine. Weird combination? Maybe, but tasty. In my opinion, everything goes with wine.

Thoughtful husbands. Or husband. Singular. Knowing I was going to be dead tired, Dan had drawn a bubble bath ready and waiting with a glass of orange julius waiting for me when I walked through the door. I even forgave him because it wasn't wine. ;) I only lasted about 10 minutes and fell asleep immediately after in the chair, but it was the thought that counted!

I hate pictures with the flash! I WILL learn how to use my camera this summer. Bucket list!
Impromptu dance parties. Really impromptu anything, but it's even better when it's in the middle of your cleaning party (see what I mean about the party thing?) . I was vacuuming when Sawyer taps me on the shoulder and says, "Mommy, dance with me." Who can say no to that? So dance we did. And we dipped. And twirled. And curtsied.







As I go back and reread this, I'm noticing a lot of references to wine. It WAS a long week. I'll try to reel it in next week. :) Happy weekend friends!!

“The greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances.”
― Martha Washington


No comments:

Post a Comment