Tuesday, February 14, 2017

The Great Wolfswinkel Steak-off

Schedule on any typical day can be as follows:
6:30- Wake up for the day
7:30- Get kids and myself to school
4:30- Run errands
5:15- pick up Jae from practice
5:30-get everyone fed quickly
6:00- Sawyer practice
7:00- Pick up Sawyer from practice, Get Carter to practice
8:15-Pick up Carter from practice, get Jaedyn to other practice
9:30- Pick up Jae from practice
9:30-11:00- dishes, pick up, collapse on the couch exhausted


Our days are chaotic and busy, and I love them most of the time. It reminds me to be thankful that we live in the same town all of our activities are in right now. I'm still able to throw in a load of laundry in between my chauffeuring duties, and I'm blessed to have a husband who is home at night to tag team pick up and drop off schedules, and I know that 10 years from now, I'll be a little sad that these moments are coming to an end, and my kiddos won't need me to do as much for them. So while I'm exhausted, my heart is still full. It just means that we don't get to have as much quality time as we used to when they were younger. Our days are a different busy now. Ones that don't have us all under the same roof as often, so when we can make family night happen, we are all in.

Dan and I had been talking about doing a family "cook off" for Valentine's Day. We don't really buy into the holiday in a couple sort of way, but we love using it as an extra day to show our kiddos how much we love them. However, last week, we got an e-mail saying that Jae had an extra show choir practice, and Carter had basketball practice anyways, so we knew that the evening would be short-lived. Dan e-mailed me on Friday asking if we had plans, and surprisingly we had none!

Dan came home, and we told the boys to get into the truck, so we could pick up Jae. She hopped in the truck, a little baffled at what we were doing. When we told her it was family night, and we were headed to the grocery store to pick up some grub, she rolled her eyes (typical teenager behavior), but then ever so slightly, a small smile curled up on her face, and I knew that she was just as excited as we were, even though by teenager law, she had to pretend like it was ridiculous. So we headed to the store to grab our steaks. We had decided earlier that day that we were going to all do a different steak marinade/rub, cook them all, and cut them up so each of us could try each others. Everybody had to pick their own, help get the ingredients needed for them, and put them together at home.








She's thrilled. I promise. :)








Putting them together was so fun. The kids were very serious about doing it correctly and didn't want to screw them up. Music was blaring, kids were laughing, and I was in my happy place. Dan and I were talking earlier that day, and he was saying how just for a moment the other night, he found himself tearing up at how grateful and happy he was to be right where we were in life. We are busy and our lives are chaotic and full, but we are so grateful to both have jobs that allow us to live in this place. Grateful that our kids are happy and healthy. Thankful that we have amazing family and friends to do life with, and sometimes that is overwhelming in the heart hurts so good kind of way. The little things ARE the big things, and so one free night at home, making supper together, dancing, watching a movie, and laughing was like hitting the jackpot. My family. My heart. My home.



If you are interested in having your own family steak-off, here's the website where we got all of our recipes.

http://www.foodbeast.com/news/10-steak-seasonings/

No comments:

Post a Comment