Sunday, February 17, 2013

Our Weekend

Our weekend served up just the right dose of staying home and going away. Don't get me wrong, I love the weekends where we get to go someplace spontaneous and make memories elsewhere, but there is something about being home that is just good for the soul.
 Jaedyn has been begging for many weeks to have a friend or two overnight. We are starting to feel the effects of not living in the same place as the kids go to school. She is at the age when sleepovers are becoming more frequent and asking to have friends come and play is a nightly ritual. I feel bad that most nights we don't get home until 5 o'clock, and after homework, supper and chores are finished, there is rarely time for friends. Summer is looking better and better right now! Anywho, we finally were able to make it work for her to have a couple of friends over and she was ecstatic. They spent their evening, among other things, enjoying pizza and ice cream sundaes, singing karaoke and watching a movie on the big screen. I wish I would have grabbed a picture of their sprawled out bodies overlapping one another on the couch when I went down to check on them. How anyone can sleep in this position, I don't know.


Saturday afternoon was spent at home. Nothing much got accomplished, but sometimes it's better to cheer on your daughter while she breaks her record of jumping on her pogo stick 103 times before falling off or watching Diego as you cuddle up on the couch with your three your old for the millionth time. Evening would have brought about more unneeded tube time if my sister in law, Amy hadn't called inviting me to take a friend's place to go see the Johnny Holm Band in Sioux Falls. Not one to turn down an opportunity to make memories and shake my groove thing on the dance floor, I accepted. What followed was many hours of laughter, dancing and inappropriate dance moves that place us permanently on the Awkward Dancers List if there actually is such a thing. I had tons of fun meeting new people and letting loose. Dan is not exactly a pro in the rhythm department, and maybe that is why he doesn't like to go dancing, but I so enjoy going out with the girls to dance my heart out as uncoordinated or dance floor challenged as I may be. Just for the record, if you are ever able to see the Johnny Holm Band perform in your area, RUN, don't walk to the nearest ticket stand and grab them. You won't be sorry. They are the greatest cover band I've ever listened to. You'll know all the songs and will undoubtedly feel the urge to" party like it's 1999".


This morning I woke up, nearly deaf in my left ear, with the most annoying ringing sound that hasn't gone away since I left the dance floor last night. So.Worth.It. We made it to church, and spent the next few hours at my dad's house with stuffed crust pizza, littles running around, boys playing x-box, and a brother with a creepy mustache who likes to get karate chopped in the throat trying to taze family members (just kidding Colin. The mustache is classy). And this my friends. This is the image of gratitude and happiness that I get to live so close to my family. I get to watch my nieces and nephews grow up. I get to mess around with my younger brothers the same way I got to with Casey when we were little. Ten years is a long gap in age, but it's so amazing to watch them grow up and be a part of their lives, give them advice, and watch them enjoy their childhood and teenage years.


Finally, it was 47 degrees here today. B-E-A-UTIFUL! I went for a walk with a good friend, played Yahtzee with Carter, played hidden picture games on the computer with Jaedyn, made fuzzy monsters with Sawyer and now I sit in my big comfy chair, relaxing with my hubby as my littles are tucked away in bed and we get ready to start the week. Feeling quite blessed tonight.





 Here's to a great week people! Enjoy the small things.

No comments:

Post a Comment